Demand Is Shifting Gears: Canada’s Aggregate Demand Outlook to 2045
The Conference Board of Canada, 37 pages,
December 17, 2021
This annual economic forecast presents Canada's long-term aggregate demand outlook.
- An aging population, as well as the shift to clean energy, will reshape Canadians’ spending habits.
- Slowing growth in household formations will eventually erase current residential shortages and trim housing starts.
- Business investment will accelerate over the long term as companies ramp up capital spending on new technologies to deal with labour shortages and stronger competition from abroad.
- The huge deficits run up by governments during the pandemic will weigh on every budget decision over the long term, resulting in noticeably slower spending over the next two decades.
- Solid U.S. demand and a competitively low Canadian dollar trading below US$0.80 will provide a sound foundation for exports over the long term.
Table of Contents