Spotlight on Japan: Opportunities to Expand Canada’s Trade in Asia
The Conference Board of Canada, 44 pages
December 7, 2020
This impact paper showcases the Canada–Japan trade and investment relationship and potential opportunities for growth. It looks at ways the two countries can collaborate and how Japan can serve as a gateway to other Asian markets.
Spotlight on Japan looks at the trade and investment relationship between Canada and Japan and uncovers opportunities for growth. Some highlights:
- The Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership (CPTPP) offers a host of opportunities to deepen relations with Japan
- The CPTPP will particularly benefit Canada’s agri-food industry.
- Canada could move up the value chain in food exports. Demographic and lifestyle changes in Japan have changed demand for foods there.
- Japan is an ideal gateway to other Asian economies, such as the ASEAN countries and Taiwan.
- Canada and Japan share mutual strengths and interests, such as in clean technology and life sciences.