Metropolitan Outlook 1: Economic Insights into 13 Canadian Metropolitan Economies: Autumn 2013
This publication focuses on the metropolitan economies of Halifax, Quebec City, Montreal, Ottawa-Gatineau, Toronto, Hamilton, Winnipeg, Regina, Saskatoon, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, and Victoria.
- A rebound in primary and utilities output will help Halifax’s economy grow by 1.7 per cent in 2013.
- Weakness in the public sector is limiting Québec City’s economic growth to 1.3 per cent this year.
- Montréal’s GDP will grow by 1.3 per cent in 2013 as manufacturing output contracts and services sector growth slows.
- Federal fiscal austerity will limit Ottawa–Gatineau’s GDP growth to 0.8 per cent this year.
- Slower services growth and a dip in manufacturing will limit growth to 1.6 per cent in Toronto’s economy in 2013.
- Hamilton’s GDP will expand by 1.3 per cent this year as strength in construction offsets a decline in manufacturing.
- Weak growth in manufacturing and the services sector will result in 1.4 per cent GDP growth in Winnipeg this year.
- Regina’s economic growth will soar by 5 per cent this year, pulled up by robust growth in manufacturing and construction.
- Saskatoon’s economy will expand by a sizzling 5.2 per cent this year, thanks to strength in the goods sector.
- Goods sector strength will outweigh slower business services growth due to the devastating floods, helping Calgary’s GDP grow by 3.3 per cent in 2013.
- Edmonton’s GDP will expand by 4.2 per cent in 2013, as the oil sands drive gains in the city’s primary and manufacturing sectors.
- Vancouver’s economy will grow by 2.2 per cent this year, as modest services growth offsets slower goods-sector growth.
- Contraction in the public sector will limit Victoria’s GDP growth to just 0.1 per cent this year.
Table of Contents
Canadian Census Metropolitan Areas
- Ville de Québec (français)
- Montréal (français)
This report is tagged with the following interests that are not in your profile:
Click here to
add these interests to your profile and you will receive a notification when a report
with the same interests is released.