In February 2022, The Conference Board of Canada presented the Future Skills Centre’s first national summit. The virtual summit hosted more than 1,700 participants and 55 speakers. Some key learnings that came out of it:
- To solve talent gaps and labour shortages, we need better labour market information.
- The existing model of career services—which mainly supports workers only when they are unemployed—needs to transform into a system of lifelong learning and support.
- Digital skills and green skills are priorities. But social and emotional skills are critical as well.
- Inclusion is central to post-pandemic recovery, as vulnerable populations continue to face disproportionately large economic challenges.
- We need to create a world where young people are supported to take on tomorrow’s biggest challenges, like climate change and digital disruption.