Challenges to Ease Gradually: Canada’s Two-Year Business Investment Outlook—April 2022
The Conference Board of Canada, 14 pages,
April 14, 2022
This quarterly economic forecast presents the medium-term outlook for the Canadian economy. This release focuses on business investment. For an overview of all major components of the economy, go to the Canadian Outlook main page.
- Real non-residential business investment will grow by 4.7 per cent this year and by 2.8 per cent in 2023.
- Much of the strength in investment will come from the energy sector. This is due to high oil prices and investments in clean technologies, such as carbon capture and storage.
- Uncertainty around future prices for inputs is making many businesses hesitant to invest.
- Staffing shortages will continue to hurt near-term investment, but the labour market will loosen as prices decelerate and immigration picks up.
- Supply disruptions should continue to improve this year, although geopolitical conflicts could cloud the recovery.
Table of Contents
Business Investment Snapshot
Investment by Industry