Curves Ahead: Canada’s Two-Year Business Investment Outlook
The Conference Board of Canada,
October 18, 2021
This quarterly economic forecast presents the medium-term outlook for the Canadian economy. This release focuses on business investment. For an overview of all major components of the economy, go to the Canadian Outlook main page.
- Real non-residential investment will grow by 0.5 per cent this year and 4.7 per cent in 2022.
- Businesses are becoming increasingly more optimistic about Canada’s economic recovery—a positive signal for capital spending.
- The resilience of the United States economy will support investment in export-oriented sectors, such as manufacturing.
- Investment in the energy sector will get a boost from the LNG Canada project and from higher oil prices, but the recovery won’t happen overnight.
- Inflationary pressures on capital and a lack of qualified staff could derail the recovery in investment.
Table of Contents
Business investment snapshot
Investment by industry