“It's not just for banks: The coming blockchain revolution is going to have dramatic ramifications for all of us.”
—Diane Francis, Financial Post, April 2016
“Blockchain technology moves into car sharing, mobility services.”
—Yahoo News, Sept 2017
“ETF providers race to launch Canada’s first bitcoin funds.”
—EGlobe and Mail, Sept 2017
Chances are blockchain has the potential to significantly impact your business—are you ready?
For many people, blockchain is synonymous with bitcoin. But as the above headlines show, blockchain technology has the potential to change businesses across the economy. And while financial services may be at the forefront of these changes, the opportunity will present itself with increased urgency across a wide range of sectors. From government to advertising, from hospitality to health care, from energy, to food and agriculture—if there’s a business there’s a transaction, and wherever there’s a transaction there’s an opportunity for blockchain.
Our aim—to create the most accessible, most diverse, policy-oriented forum where business and government leaders can learn how blockchain could impact their organizations and how they can seize the opportunity it offers.
As blockchain makes considerable forays into financial services pioneers are beginning to recognize the equally big opportunities it offers in areas like energy, transportation, health care and even the arts. Canada is home to some of the pioneers in blockchain and the technology is attracting major investments, spurring large research programs and exploratory discussions with the federal government.
However, many of the players are acting in an uncoordinated or fragmented way. This event will bring together the key players working in diverse fields, creating an exciting cross-pollination of ideas and approaches that will yield new insights and uncover even more opportunities for growth, and most importantly, help in shaping future blockchain technology policy for Canadian organizations.
Many highly-respected business and technology firms argue that blockchain represents an opportunity where Canadian companies can play a large role on the world stage in terms of leading development and best practice adoption, even competing with Silicon Valley. While other events have been held about the subject, this unique summit will focus on strategy and policy insights.
This event will go beyond the hype to explore recent developments and potential impacts and opportunities for strategic policy.
Currently blockchain can seem like an obscure technology—more hype than substance. Yet banks, venture capitalists and even governments are investing hundreds of millions of dollars. For example:
- The Government of Canada is currently running a competition to establish a super cluster. Toronto and Waterloo submitted a proposal that could see a large portion of $950 million invested in blockchain technologies.
- Groupe Media TFO has Created a blockchain prototype to track copyright—demonstrating blockchain’s value well beyond financial services.
- Canadian company Ethereum, viewed by some as the most important blockchain company in the world, recently surpassed $1-billion (U.S.) in value.
Hear from the experts and help build Canada’s blockchain leadership and direction—three reasons this is a must attend event for you and your team.
Join us for this comprehensive exploration of all things blockchain. While gaining unique insight into the direction of blockchain in Canada, you will also participate in an event that:
- Provides you with the most comprehensive exploration possible of blockchain’s applicability across the business and government landscape—the early adopters, the laggards and the unexpected areas for innovation—and the key impacts blockchain will have.
- Identifies the most common or likely risks/impediments to success in applying blockchain to meet organizational/societal objectives, and a collaborative attempt to brainstorm potential solutions or an action plan to overcome those challenges.
- Professionals who will support each other’s efforts in using blockchain—helping to inform a direction so Canada can “own” the blockchain innovation opportunity in 2018 and beyond.
Building on success.
The Conference Board is Canada’s most respected independent research and conference development organization. Conference Board events attract the top public and private sector leaders, and provide an insightful and enlightening learning experience for conference participants.
We’d like to thank our generous sponsors for their contribution to this event.
The details of this event are subject to change. Please revisit this page periodically for updated information.