Canadian Industrial Profile: Home Improvement Stores—2020
The Conference Board of Canada,
February 19, 2020
This industry profile provides a five-year forecast for Canada’s home improvement stores industry.
- The industry is highly concentrated between the two multinationals in the segment, Home Depot and Lowe’s.
- Home improvement stores have been the strongest-performing retail segment in recent years, thanks to a strong housing market. As a result, their share of retail sales increased from 5.7 to
6.2 per cent between 2013 and 2018.
- British Columbia and Alberta have seen the most growth since 2013, while Saskatchewan and Newfoundland and Labrador both saw declines due to their weaker housing markets.
- Despite industry consolidation in recent years, the number of home improvement stores in Canada has remained stable since 2015.
- GDP growth slowed in 2018 due to the lower number of housing starts and a weaker housing market overall.