Cool Ideas: Remote Surgery: Will Robotic Surgery Work in the Canadian North?
- Delivering complex surgery in the North is a long-standing challenge.
- Could remote robotic surgery mitigate this challenge, now or in the future? Could it reduce costs, expand access, and/or improve the quality of surgical services in the North?
- Remote robotic surgery is already a reality in the South, but not yet in the North.
- Telehealth technologies are successful now in some northern communities.
- Remote medical technologies must complement, not substitute for, trusted human services.
Currently, poor Internet connectivity limits remote technologies.