Canadian Outlook Economic Forecast: Industry Trends—August 2020
The Conference Board of Canada, 16 pages,
August 13, 2020
This quarterly economic forecast presents the medium-term outlook for the Canadian economy. This release focuses on industry trends. For an overview of all major components of the economy, download the Canadian Outlook Summary.
- The majority of the primary resource sectors face challenges in 2020.
- Construction output will decline for the second year in a row.
- Weak domestic and global conditions will be a drag on manufacturing output.
- Commercial services closely tied to tourism are being hit hard by the pandemic.
- Demographic trends are shaping the outlooks for health care and education services.
- Public administration output will eke out positive but modest growth this year.
Table of Contents
- Key findings
- Industry trends snapshot
- COVID-19 takes a major toll on industries
- Outlook mixed for primary resources
- Construction faces challenges
- Pandemic hammers manufacturing
- Commercial services getting battered
- Non-commercial services impacted by the pandemic
- Public administration avoids falling into negative territory