Breaching the Barriers to Workplace Literacy
Literacy is a key factor in ensuring corporate competitiveness and personal success. This report explores the question: What are the principal barriers to increasing workplace literacy and learning in Canada's workplaces and how can we overcome them?
This report is the first phase in a research project being undertaken with financial support from the National Literacy Secretariat, Human Resources Development Canada.
This project has six broad objectives:
- demonstrate how literacy strategies are currently being supported and used in workplaces;
- determine employers' objectives, motives and level of commitment to programs and activities;
- compare and contrast management perspectives and approaches;
- determine employees' objectives, motives and level of commitment to programs and activities;
- identify the barriers and solutions to broadening employer and employee use of literacy strategies and replicating effective programs on a pan-Canadian scale; and
- develop a self-diagnostic process and implementation checklist that will help employers, managers, employees and union representatives take action to use learning strategies in their workplace.