Ottawa, January 10, 2018 – The Conference Board of Canada announced today that Dr. Daniel Muzyka will step down as the organization’s President and Chief Executive Officer in June 2018.
Dr. Muzyka became President and CEO of the Conference Board, Canada’s largest applied research organization, in 2012. Before joining the Conference Board, he was the Dean and the RBC Financial Group Professor of Entrepreneurship at the University of British Columbia's Sauder School of Business.
“Following a rewarding and productive term at the Conference Board, it is time to retire from full-time employment and return to my family in Vancouver as I begin the next chapter of my life. It has been a privilege to work with such a talented team of staff committed to achieving our mission to build a better future for Canadians by making our economy and society more dynamic and competitive,” said Dr. Muzyka. “I truly thank them and the past and present members of the Board of Directors for their passion, wisdom and dedication during my tenure.”
Highlights of achievements during Dr. Muzyka’s tenure as President and CEO include:
- Created a larger presence in Western Canada, including opening an office in Calgary, Alberta.
- Established the Institut du Québec (IdQ) in partnership with HEC Montréal (École des hautes études commerciales de Montréal).
- Strengthened and refreshed the Conference Board’s brand.
- Prioritized the expansion of communication channels in support of our mission which has led to a traditional and social media footprint aided by the launch of a broadcast studio.
- Expanded the Conference Board’s flagship How Canada Performs social-economic benchmarking research to include provincial report cards.
- Expanded training and educational opportunities.
Dr. Muzyka is currently also Chair of the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC).
Dr. Muzyka has taught and held senior administrative positions at a number of universities and institutions. He has extensive experience in academics, business, and public policy and has participated on a number of boards of companies, venture capital funds, as well as not-for-profit and government organizations and committees. He has worked in industry and was a strategy consultant. In addition, he has served on various government councils in Europe and North America. Dr. Muzyka has been instrumental in establishing research and outreach initiatives in entrepreneurship and family-owned enterprise at several institutions.
Dr. Muzyka holds a Doctorate of Business Administration from Harvard University, an MBA with concentration in Strategic Planning from the University of Pennsylvania, and a BA with Honours in Physics and Astronomy from Williams College. He has been awarded the National Order of Merit (Chevalier de l'Ordre National du Mérite) by the Government of France.
The search for Dr. Muzyka’s successor is in progress. For more information about this opportunity, contact Executive search firm Spencer Stuart’s Toronto office or consult the careers page on our website.