Provincial Outlook Executive Summary: Spring 2010
This quarterly economic forecast provides highlights of the Provincial Outlook report, which presents the short-term outlook for Canada's provinces.
- British Columbia and Ontario will lead all other provinces this year. Firmer external demand is supporting a strong rebound for those provinces.
- Quebec’s economic recovery is stronger than initially anticipated. Job creation has been robust in the past six months.
- A slowdown in private non-residential investment will keep the economic rebound more modest in Manitoba, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia in 2010–11.
- Strong business investment in the mining sector will provide a big boost for Newfoundland and Labrador in 2010.
- A revival in potash production will fuel Saskatchewan’s economy over the next two years.
- Alberta will benefit from the revival in drilling activity in 2010—but weakness in the labour market is a concern.