In this special video chat, the Chief Economist of The Conference Board of Canada, Pedro Antunes, discusses 5 economic trends that will shape business decision-making in 2019.
- Trade outlook: The alphabet soup of trade agreements – USMCA, NAFTA, CPTPP, CETA – are opening up new markets for Canada, but progress is slow and there is still trade tension with our largest market, the United States.
- Carbon taxes: Federal and provincial carbon taxes are beginning to impact business and individuals’ decision making.
- Tax competitiveness: The sharp decline in U.S. corporate tax rates is weighing on Canadian business decisions on investment.
- Bleak outlook for energy sector: The gap between world prices and Western Canadian product is leading to drastic steps in oil-producing regions.
- Interest rates: Even though top-line economic growth is slowing, the Bank of Canada is expected to raise rates three more times in 2019.
Following his video chat Pedro will open up for a 15 minute question and answer period.