Travel Markets Outlook: Metropolitan Focus, Spring 2014
Travel Markets Outlook, Metropolitan Focus offers an in-depth analysis and forecast for the tourism industry in Canada and nine major metropolitan areas. The companion
publication, National Focus, analyzes and provides a forecast for provincial tourism, with a special focus on five key international travel markets.
- Growth in overnight visits is expected to reach 2.5 per cent in 2014 and improve to an even stronger 2.8 per cent by 2017.
- Over the next few years, growth in visits from overseas market is expected to remain in the 3 to 4 per cent range.
- Although overnight visits from the U.S. are also expected to continue to grow over the forecast horizon, they will remain well below the levels we were seeing a decade ago.
- Tourism in Canada's largest city—Toronto— is expected to post stronger growth in 2014, driven largely by strength in the labour market and improved consumer confidence.
- Last year's devastating floods put a dent in Alberta's tourism activity, but growth there is expected to improve to a strong 3.9 per cent this year.