Influential Communication Essentials
Wednesday, May 24, 2017 • Petroleum Club • 319 5th Avenue SW • Calgary AB
The ability to communicate with clarity and conviction is a critical and necessary skill for business professionals in Calgary. By making our ideas accessible to our audience we can ensure we position ourselves as leaders within our organization and foster the right internal reputation. To be truly effective, business professionals must be able to influence others every time they speak—from formal and informal presentations to conference call, one-on-one conversations, impromptu discussions and Q&A sessions. Influential Communication Essentials meets this goal by enabling participants to speak as a polished, influential leader in every interaction.
The program is highly interactive which will show participants how to communicate with clarity and intent. The workshops will give participants practical tools and guidance they can implement immediately. They will learn to organize their thoughts in a logical manner, craft key messages that will tell their audience what’s most important and use their physical and vocal presence to keep the audience engaged.
Core Learning Outcomes
By participating in this program, participants will learn to:
- Approach communication as an opportunity to influence
- Develop an audience centered approach to their communication
- Move from information to inspiration
- Speak with clarity and conviction in any situation
- Develop a key message that reassures their audience
Customized, Applied Learning
Participants will be provided with specific parameters for topics and guidelines for communications. This will ensure discussion and workshops in this highly interactive session deliver “real-life” value to participants. Participants will receive personalized coaching and feedback, when applicable, to reinforce this learning.
| || |
I. View Communication as the Vehicle for Influence
- The link between influence and communication
- Six guiding principles for influential communication
Workshop: Participants will identify an upcoming opportunity where they wish to influence the thinking of their audience.
| || |
II. Use the Leader’s Script® to Structure your Communication
- Get your audience’s attention and set the right context with your grabber
- Use your key message to shape the thinking of your audience
- Close with a call to action to drive accountability
Workshop: Participants will develop a script for the opportunity they identified in Part I. They will craft an inspiring key message that reflects their leadership thinking and receive feedback.
| || |
| || |
III. Deliver with an Engaging Presence
- Presence: Connecting confidence to what you say and how you say it
- Techniques that enable you to project presence and clarity of thought:
- Eye contact: keep it conversational
- Body language: use your physical tools to convey confidence—gesture openly
- Pace: focus on both the rate of word delivery and idea delivery to ensure clarity
- Expression: bring your presentation to life by being authentic and genuine
Workshop: A few volunteers will deliver the scripts they have just created. They will receive feedback from the instructor on their physical and vocal presence. Participants will be given a peer-coaching checklist and in groups of three, they will deliver their scripts to their colleagues and receive feedback.
| || |
IV. Influential Conversations
- Approach conversations with the intent to influence
- Listen physically, mentally, and emotionally
Workshop: Participants will role-play upcoming conversations where they wish to influence the result of the interaction.
| || |
The details of this event are subject to change. Please revisit this page periodically for updated information.