Presenting as a Leader®
Thursday, March 30, 2017 • The Conference Board of Canada • 255 Smyth Rd. • Ottawa, ON
For leaders who deliver presentations, it is critical that they share their ideas in a way that influences and inspires others. Yet sometimes, presentations fail to engage audiences. Presentations overwhelm people with unfocused information; they are presented without considering the impact on the audience, and they are presented in a manner that undermines confidence in the presenter.
Presenting as a Leader builds the fundamental skills required to deliver persuasive and compelling presentations. This one-day workshop provides participants with the tools and insights to influence their audience at every opportunity by connecting centered content to confident delivery.
Participants Will Strengthen Their Ability To:
- View every presentation as an opportunity to influence
- Develop compelling, audience-centered presentations—avoiding a “data-dump”
- Create a key message that reflects their leadership thinking
- Design visual slide decks as a support—rather than a crutch
- Achieve an appropriate level of formality and tone for the audience
- Deliver a confident leadership presence using body language, eye contact, pace and expression
This program has been designed and is delivered by The Humphrey Group Inc., experts in leadership communications. Each participant will focus on an actual presentation they will be delivering in the future and during the program, will outline, create and deliver a part of their presentation.
Who Should Attend
Presenting as a Leader is for anyone who wants to improve their confidence and competence at preparing and delivering presentations that achieve their intended results.
| || |
I. Adopt the Leader’s Mindset
- The link between leadership and communication
- Six guiding principles for thinking about presentations through the lens of leadership
Workshop: Participants will identify an upcoming presentation where they wish to inspire. They will analyze their audience and the opportunity that the presentation provides to lead.
| || |
II. Build the Argument: The Leader’s Script®
- Develop a single, focused message
- Structure your thoughts persuasively
- Use conversational, yet powerful, language
Workshop: Using the method they have been shown, participants will create the outline for the presentation they wish to prepare.
| || |
| || |
III. Lead Through Visuals
- When to use visuals and when to avoid them
- Two types of slide deck: the visual memo vs. speaking support
- Guiding principles for effective visuals
Workshop: Participants will examine sample slides and then storyboard their own presentation outlines.
| || |
IV. Present with a Leader’s Presence
- An introduction to the techniques that enable you to project confidence, including body language, eye contact, pace, expression and tone
Workshop: Participants will deliver parts of their script to partners to practice their presence technique.
| || |
- Beyond the presentation … every interaction is an opportunity to lead
- Next steps and a commitment to action
The details of this event are subject to change. Please revisit this page periodically for updated information.