Senior Executive Health and Safety Leadership Charter
The Senior Executive Health and Safety Leadership Charter is an initiative that involves CEOs and other leaders focused on and dedicated to improving health and safety for their organizations and communities. The Charter provides a series of guiding principles in health and safety endorsed by an Executive, CEO, or Senior Official of their company, organization, association, or department. Leadership Charter signatories realize the vital link between a culture of health and safety and a successful organization, and are united in their vision and support for a safer, healthier, more prosperous Canada.
The original vision for the CEO Health and Safety Leadership Charter began in 2005 when Bruce Power’s President and CEO, Duncan Hawthorne met with the Federal, Provincial and Territorial Ministers of Labour to propose a Canada-wide Health and Safety Charter. The Charter provides a series of guiding principles in health and safety, with the belief that the transformation of health and safety in workplaces and their communities can be achieved. It is founded on the principle that the effective management and championship of health and safety is essential to the operation of a successful business or organization.
The Conference Board of Canada is dedicated to leading this group by providing:
- Research on Health and Safety;
- Health and Safety Executive Sessions;
- Special Events and Community Outreach;
- Collaborating and partnering with existing Health and Safety initiatives; and
- Leader Feature Reports
This charter is intended to support the continuous improvement of healthy and safe workplaces. It is founded on the principle that effective leadership of health and safety is essential to the operation of a successful business. Participation in this charter is a visible commitment from business leaders, government, and academia to actively participate within a learning community that provides and receives best practices for the enhancement of employee physical, social, and mental well-being. The benefits will be realized as this learning is integrated into organizational business strategies, systems, and processes.
Senior Executive Health & Safety Leadership Charter
The Charter provides a series of guiding principles endorsed by an organizational, departmental, or company's senior executive. The Charter is signed annually to foster a lasting and deep commitment to health and safety within their workplaces and communities.
The Charter's 5 Principles are:
- I subscribe to the principle that health and safety of my employees, contractors, visitors, and our surrounding community are an integral part of our business strategies, processes and performance measures.
- I strive to provide leadership for ongoing health and safety improvements, internal capacity for my team to eliminate, minimize or control hazards in our workplace.
- I agree to provide an environment that enables all employees to participate and work collaboratively in developing, promoting and improving health and safety at work.
- I aim to extend health and safety efforts beyond the workplace, recognizing and supporting related initiatives within the community and our families.
- I commit to lead and participate mindfully within my organization’s health and safety framework, improving health and safety strategies, programming and performance.
For more information on signing the Charter or attending an upcoming event, visit our membership page.