Executive Director, Marketing
The Conference Board of Canada is seeking candidates for the position of Executive Director, Marketing. This position reports to the President and Chief Executive Officer, and will participate on the Conference Board’s Executive Team. The successful candidate will be a senior marketing professional who will have a superb opportunity to contribute to the Conference Board’s mission of building a better future for Canadians by making our economy and society more dynamic and competitive.
The Executive Director, Marketing will be responsible for leading two teams of professionals responsible for direct marketing and sales, and convening, which comprises conferences. This full-time permanent role is based in Ottawa.
The successful candidate will be a strategic, results-orientated professional with strong marketing, business development and management skills. The Executive Director will have responsibility for all aspects of marketing and development in these two portfolios and will lead through an effective cross-functional, team-oriented approach. Expanding the brand’s reach within existing and new markets to drive revenue growth will be key to success.
The principal duties and priorities for the Executive Director, Marketing will include:
- Develop and implement a strategic plan for conferences, workshops/seminars, webinars as well as direct marketing and sales, which will result in profitable growth through existing and new markets and products. Supported by fact-based analysis, the Executive Director will quickly assess the state of the business including market context in which the Board operates.
- Execute the strategic plan working with direct-reports, teams, and other cross-functional experts, the Executive Director will identify priorities, oversee positioning, advertising, branding and pricing, as well as strategies and actions plans for promotion.
- Be accountable for and deliver on an annual revenue-growth budget.
- Lead and nurture the marketing and product innovation capabilities of a team of direct-marketing and conference professionals.
- Ensure compliance with the Board’s branding standards in all direct marketing programs as well as compliance with all legislation, standards and sustainable practices.
- Embrace leadership responsibility for the webinar line of business and as Chair of the Convening and Direct Marketing Oversight Committee which ensures coordination, strategic planning and timing of events.
- Liaise effectively with all internal stake-holders including content divisions, to secure outcomes that are acceptable and beneficial to all.
- Develop and nurture strategic partnerships to extend the brand reach and reputation with key organizations and external stakeholders.
Skills & Qualifications
- Post-secondary education with a focus on marketing and sales, and business development.
- 10+ years of progressive experience with direct marketing and/or conferences, including the successful implementation of a range of complex consumer initiatives that have successfully built brands, market positioning and financial results.
- Well-developed business, management and analytical skills and a rigorous methodological approach to assessing markets.
- Proven leadership ability and experience in leading a team through strategic positioning and communications. Proven ability to develop and retain a high caliber marketing and conference team as well as implementing performance measures that lead to success.
- Strategic change skills and creative thinking with a proven track record of developing innovative and successful direct marketing campaigns.
- Proven ability to participate effectively as part of a senior management team and contribute to the success of the overall enterprise.
- Bilingualism would be an asset.
Apply for this position