Metropolitan Outlook 1: Economic Insights into 13 Canadian Metropolitan Economies: Winter 2014
This publication focuses on the metropolitan economies of Halifax, Quebec City, Montreal, Ottawa-Gatineau, Toronto, Hamilton, Winnipeg, Regina, Saskatoon, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, and Victoria.
- A rebound in primary and utilities output will help Halifax’s economy grow by 2.8 per cent in 2014.
- Growth in the goods sector will help boost Québec City’s economy by 2 per cent in 2014.
- Montréal’s economic growth will accelerate to 2.2 per cent this year as manufacturing finally rebounds.
- Ottawa–Gatineau’s GDP will grow by 1.4 per cent in 2014 as robust non-residential construction offsets public sector weakness.
- Stronger growth in manufacturing and in many services industries will lead to GDP growth of 2.8 per cent in Toronto in 2014.
- Hamilton’s GDP will grow by 2.5 per cent in 2014 thanks to renewed strength in manufacturing and better job growth.
- Real GDP in Winnipeg is forecast to rise 2 per cent this year, thanks to strength in manufacturing and construction.
- The construction of a new stadium will help Regina’s economy expand by 3.5 per cent in 2014.
- Ongoing strength in manufacturing, construction, and the services sector will lift Saskatoon’s GDP by 3.2 per cent in 2014.
- Calgary’s GDP growth of 3.7 per cent in 2013 will be supported by strength in services, manufacturing, and construction.
- Edmonton’s GDP will expand by 3.4 per cent in 2014, as the oil sands drive gains in the city’s primary and manufacturing sectors.
- Vancouver’s GDP will grow by 2.8 per cent in 2014 thanks to strength in non-residential construction and most services.
- A rebound in non-residential construction and the services sector will help Victoria’s GDP grow by 1.8 per cent in 2014.
Table of Contents
Canadian Census Metropolitan Areas
- Ville de Québec (français)
- Montréal (français)
This report is tagged with the following interests that are not in your profile:
Click here to
add these interests to your profile and you will receive a notification when a report
with the same interests is released.