2nd Canadian Food Summit 2013: From Challenges to Solutions
Metro Toronto Convention Centre •
| || ||NEW for the 2nd Canadian Food Summit! |
Delegates will have the opportunity to use polling technology throughout the event to provide their input into the Canadian Food Strategy.
The Conference Board’s Centre for Food in Canada (CFIC) invites you to join us at the 2nd Canadian Food Summit 2013: From Challenges to Solutions. This major, international event focuses on leveraging opportunities and finding workable solutions—constructive ways to make the most of our opportunities, resources and talent to achieve the great economic potential of the food sector and meet the full range of Canadians’ food needs. It will also engage delegates in refining the draft Canadian Food Strategy being developed by CFIC.
Food impacts Canadians in an extraordinary range of ways: it affects our lives, our health, our jobs and our economy.
There is a new urgency to safeguard and sustain the health and profitability of the producers, manufacturers, shippers, traders, distributors and retailers in Canada’s food system, who are pivotal to ensuring the quality, healthiness and safety of the food supply to Canadians. Appetites are growing for a national strategy for food—a grand vision—that connects the parts and the players in the food system and that can guide and stimulate efforts to change it.
The Centre for Food in Canada is responding to the need by developing a Canadian Food Strategy—a comprehensive, action-oriented framework that expresses a shared vision for the future of food in Canada and meets our country’s need for a coordinated, long-term strategy.
The 2nd Summit is building on the success of the 1st Summit, held in February 2012, when the Centre for Food in Canada (CFIC) brought together over 600 Canadians from across the food sector and beyond. That event helped raise awareness of the challenges facing the food sector, CFIC’s new research findings, and its initial thoughts on the draft Canadian Food Strategy. The 1st Summit also took a look at the development of national food strategies in Scotland, Australia, and the UK—featuring international speakers who explored specific components of their food strategies, and highlighted some of the challenges they experienced in developing and implementing the food strategies.
The 2nd Summit will once again be international in scope, attracting expert presenters and participants from across Canada and around the world. International speakers will share best practices to help overcome Canadian food challenges, and key lessons learned from launching and implementing their own national food strategies.
The Summit will also gather feedback from delegates on the draft Canadian Food Strategy using the latest in hand-held polling technology combined with in-depth discussions and dialogue.
As a delegate you will:
- Gain insights from the Summit’s high-profile international keynote speakers who will share their novel perspectives on leading food strategies, policies and best practices from around the world.
- Help to shape the Canadian Food Strategy’s objectives and actions by sharing your ideas and feedback.
- Learn about the latest solutions to our food challenges through interactive plenary and workshop sessions with leaders and leading experts.
The conference will focus on these key themes:
- Industry Prosperity—Increasing the output of Canada’s food industry to contribute to national economic growth and our global competitiveness.
- Healthy Food—Improving the health of food products and the diets of Canadians as obesity and chronic diseases become an increasing concern.
- Food Safety—Ensuring that food safety is maintained across the supply chain as globalization grows.
- Household Food Security—Improving food security to ensure that all Canadians have access to safe, affordable and nutritious food.
- Environmental Sustainability—Sustaining the environment while increasing agricultural output as countries seek to feed their rapidly growing populations.
Don’t miss your chance to take part in the consultations for the Canadian Food Strategy—we want to hear from you!
Make your opinion count—attend the 2nd Canadian Food Summit
April 9-10, 2013.
In addition, CFIC has begun to organize its 3rd Canadian Food Summit: From Strategy to Action taking place March 2014 at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre. This event will launch the draft Canadian Food Strategy, and focus on how we can engage all food stakeholders to move the Canadian Food Strategy forward into meaningful and focused action. The Conference Board will also announce its plans following the end of CFIC, and the launch of Strategy—to continue to help move the draft Canadian Food Strategy into action.
The details are subject to change. Please revisit this page periodically for updated information.