Introduction—Why Workforce Planning?
- A Continuum of Workforce Planning Approaches
- Introducing a Framework for Workforce Planning
- Leaders Prioritize Planning for a Changing Workforce
- Why Isn’t Everyone Doing Workforce Planning?
- Are Canadian Organizations Connecting Workforce Planning to Organizational Strategy?
Stage 1—Analyzing Strategy and Segmentation
- Which Approaches to Workforce Planning Are Canadian Organizations Using?
- Workforce Segmentation as a Key Tool
Stage 2—Scanning the Environment
- Demand for Labour in the External Market
- Exploring the Supply of Labour in Canada
- Understanding Internal Demand in Canadian Organizations
- Analyzing the Internal Supply of Employees
Stage 3—Forecasting and Scenario Planning
Stage 4—Defining the Target Workforce
- HR Is Assigning Staff to Analytics
Stage 5—From Planning to HR Action
- Planning for Diversity
- Recruiting and Retaining Older Workers
- Succession Planning
Stage 6—Monitoring and Evaluation
- Monitoring and Evaluation Infrastructure Is Weak
Conclusion—Workforce Planning: A Summary
Appendix A—Respondent Profile
Appendix B—Participating Organizations