Economist, Canadian Tourism Research Institute
The Canadian Tourism Research Institute (CTRI) provides the tools and expertise that are needed by Canadian travel companies to understand the key trends and influences in today's competitive travel industry environment. The team provides expertise and services in the areas of travel forecasting, identification and monitoring of travel trends, economic impact assessment and other custom tourism based research. We provide research services such as information requests, travel outlook seminars and research publications to our customers.
Reporting to the Associate Director, we are seeking an outstanding researcher and economist to undertake tourism forecasts, economic impact analysis, and other activities that enhance the competitive standing of the CTRI in the market place. The successful candidate will conduct special analysis and work closely with the team in carrying out activities requiring accuracy in calculations, completeness of data and adherence to prescribed methodology; including, travel forecasts using econometric techniques.
This is a full-time permanent position located in Ottawa and is available immediately.
The successful candidate will prepare high quality reports on assigned projects. Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to interact effectively in a team environment are essential.
- Development and maintenance of forecast models.
- Undertake custom research projects on a variety of topics.
- Conduct analysis and produce high quality work requiring accuracy in calculations, completeness of data and adherence to prescribed methodology.
- Author reports and briefings outlining the impacts generated by tourism related activities.
- Respond to inquiries from customers and the media.
- Provide outstanding customer service and produce high quality work.
- Ability to work effectively with Statistics Canada data.
- Identify process efficiencies and product/service improvements.
- Work with the Associate Director and other members of the team to identify new product and service opportunities.
Skills & Qualifications
- Advanced understanding of a quantitative modelling techniques and systems.
- Masters degree in Economics or Statistics.
- Experience with E-Views and SPSS (or other statistical applications) is a strong asset.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong organizational and project management skills.
- Proficiency in an MS Office environment, including advanced spreadsheet skills using Excel.
- Experience accessing and using Statistics Canada data.
- The ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated interest in the Canadian tourism sector.
- Work experience in a professional work environment as well as familiarity with the travel and tourism sector would be a definite asset.
- Bilingualism would be an asset.
We thank all applicants who apply; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Apply for this position