French Copy Editor
We are seeking a French Editor to expand our editing team. The French Editor will review and revise both content originated in French and content translated from English to French. This includes a wide range of materials, such as research reports, marketing materials, and media releases destined for both print and web. The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate direct, practical experience editing French text in a fast-paced, production setting such as business publishing, academic publishing, journalism, communications or related industries.
Reporting to the Associate Director, Publishing, the French Editor will work with the publishing team to deliver publications and other documents in French that meet the Conference Board’s established guidelines for branding and editorial style.
This is a permanent full-time position in Ottawa and is available immediately.
- Revises translated manuscripts; edits French manuscripts; clarifies and/or reorganizes manuscripts for content and structure; reviews, charts and tables; reviews layout and page proofs for typographic errors; and compares English and French page proofs for concordance.
- Provides input into assessing the quality of the work of freelance French language copy-writers and translation suppliers.
- Works with the English Editor and other members of the Publishing team to ensure all French materials/documents meet the Board’s established guidelines for branding and editorial style.
- From time-to-time, provides in-house translation from English to French.
- Creates and maintains French style guidelines for the Conference Board.
Skills & Qualifications
- A minimum of four years working experience in any of the following disciplines: French language writer, French editor, French proofreader and/or translator.
- Post-secondary education in a related field such as Mass Communications, Journalism or Translation.
- Demonstrates excellent French writing and editing skills.
- Ability to conduct day-to-day business in both English and French.
- Self-starter with a strong work ethic, ability to respond quickly to changing priorities and meet deadlines.
- Expert knowledge of Canadian French grammar and typography rules.
- Excellent knowledge of office technologies: MS Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.
- Experience with translation technologies such as translation memory, machine learning, etc.
- Familiarity with French academic publishing including citation and reference requirements.
- Familiarity with current French economic, business, and public policy terminology.
- Strong attention to detail, accuracy and speed.
- Experience as a French editor in an academic or journalistic setting is an asset.
- Ability to edit/proofread in English is an asset.
- Familiarity with website content management systems, and basic html is an asset.
We thank all applicants who apply; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Apply for this position