Senior Research Associate, Canadian Tourism Research Institute
The Canadian Tourism Research Institute (CTRI) provides the tools and expertise that are needed by Canadian travel companies to understand the key trends and influences in today's competitive travel industry environment. The team provides expertise and services in the areas of travel forecasting, identification and monitoring of travel trends, economic impact assessment and other custom tourism based research. We provide research services such as information requests, travel outlook seminars and research publications to our customers.
Reporting to the Associate Director, we are seeking an outstanding applied researcher to undertake tourism forecasts, tourism trend monitoring, economic impact analysis, and other activities that enhance the competitive standing of the CTRI in the market place. The successful candidate will conduct special analysis and work closely with the team in carrying out activities requiring accuracy in calculations, completeness of data and adherence to prescribed methodology; including, travel forecasts using econometric techniques.
This position is a permanent full-time position, located in Ottawa and available immediately.
To be successful in this position you will display mature judgment, are committed to high quality work, and can work effectively in a professional team environment. Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to interact effectively in a team environment are essential.
- Conduct analysis and produce high quality work requiring accuracy in calculations, completeness of data and adherence to prescribed methodology.
- Development and maintenance of forecast models.
- Undertake custom research projects on a variety of topics.
- Author reports and briefings outlining the impacts generated by tourism related activities.
- Respond to inquiries from customers and the media.
- Provide outstanding customer service and produce high quality work.
- Ability to work effectively with Statistics Canada data.
- Identify process efficiencies and product/service improvements.
- Contribute to business development activities to secure funding for research projects.
- Work with the Associate Director and other members of the team to identify new products and service opportunities, and produce winning proposals.
Skills & Qualifications
- Minimum of six years of research experience in a professional applied research environment as well as a demonstrated passion for economics, research and writing.
- A Master’s degree in Economics, Statistics or, a related field.
- Knowledge and understanding of the Canadian tourism sector and issues facing travel industries.
- Advanced understanding of a quantitative modelling techniques and systems.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong organizational and project management skills.
- Experience with E-Views, SPSS (or other statistical applications) is a strong asset.
- Experience with Power BI, Tableau (or other data visualization software) is a strong asset.
- Strong proficiency in an MS Office environment, including advanced spreadsheet skills using Excel.
- Experience accessing and using Statistics Canada data.
- The ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to travel within Canada.
- Bilingualism would be an asset.
We thank all applicants who apply; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Apply for this position